Happy Tuesday! For whatever reason, this week is already flying by. I cannot wait for Halloween this Saturday, soooooo, it can keep whizzing right on by.
Tonight Mike and I are going to see a Bollywood performance so naturally I wanted to find an East-inspired dinner for tonight. Behold….my crock pot take on Tikka Masala. Interesting fact….did you know that there are multiple places who CLAIM Tikka Masala originated with them and not the others who make the same claims??? Apparently, a man in the 1960’s in Glasgow claims to have coined the term “Chicken Tikka Masala” with his chicken, tomato, and yogurt inspired Eastern curry. Others say it originates in India and tastes NOTHING like the creamy, tomatoey Westernized version. It has actually been voted the U.K.’s favorite dish quite a few times!!! I’m not really sure where it truly originates, but my version is definitely tweaked a bit. By no means is this the healthiest meal, but it is warm for these colder fall nights and BTW….it smells AMAZING!!!!
I definitely tweaked this recipe to my liking and I hope you enjoy about as much as I enjoy smelling it!
Crock Pot Tikka Masala and Ginger & Turmeric Aromatic Rice:
What You Will Need: (this look intimidating. Don’t LET IT INTIMIDATE YOU.)
- 2-3 lbs chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 14 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 jalapenos, diced
- 2 tablespoons turmeric
- 2 tablespoons of garlic
- 2 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons of ground cilantro (coriander)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons of dill
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- *****I would ONLY change this bit to make my chicken a little more moist as my chicken cooked for about 8-9 hours….I may add 1/2 of veggie broth or coconut milk at the beginning to keep the chicken even more moist.
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup of greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons of corn starch
For the Rice:
- 1 cup of white rice
- 2 cups of water
- rice cooker
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric, ground ginger, dill, and clove
- chopped mint and cilantro
- chopped walnuts
What You Will Need To Do:
- Cube your chicken and chop your onion and peppers.
- Place your seasonings (well mixed) in a large bowl and mix in your chicken, onion, and pepper. Coat everything really well.
- Place your mixture into the crock pot and cover in the crushed tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Using a spatula, mix everything together. ****For extra moist chicken, add that 1/2 cup of broth or coconut milk.
- Put the crock pot on LOW for 6-8 hours.
- 30 minutes before serving, mix your heavy cream and corn starch together until all the clumps are gone.
- Add this mix and your yogurt into the crock pot and cook for an additional 30 minutes on HIGH.
- The longer the mix sits, the thicker it becomes.
- Cook your rice and mix in all the seasonings, herbs, and chopped walnuts.
- Serve your rice bed separate so you may spoon the tikka masala over it!
Voila! I know it seems like a lot of ingredients, but really, it’s just all the spices you most likely already have in stock. This is scrumptious, smelly, and warm. The perfect meal before going to watch some Bollywood tonight! Hope you have a great night and stay warm, inside and out. ❤