Ohmigawd. It’s October 1st and my Granny’s birthday! I LOVE October. It’s my first favorite month. Something about the cool weather, colorful leaves, warm meals, and coziness. It feels like home.
My crockpot is my second favorite appliance after, of course, my blender. Meal prep is usually a breeze and I love the idea of throwing it all in, forgetting about it all day, and having a meal ready and waiting when I get home.
The following recipe uses seasonal sweet potatoes which are chalk-full of beta-carotene and Vitamin A. Sweet potatoes are great for blood-sugar regulating and also in helping to regulate the digestive tract. You get the full benefits of sweet potatoes when they are slowly steamed, baked, or in this case, steamed/baked in the crock pot. So, let’s get this stew in and let’s Netflix and Chill. Goosebumps is streaming. Just sayin’.
Chicken Sweet Potatoes and Kale Stew:
What You Will Need:
- 1 pound of chicken breast
- 2 sweet potatoes, skinned and cubed
- 3 organic carrots, peeled and chunked
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cup veggie broth
- 1/3 cup of tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons of yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic, (I used cranberry balsamic)
- oregano, thyme, salt, pepper, basil, and garlic to taste
- 5-6 kale leaves, de-veined
What You Will Need To Do:
- Place your chicken breast in the crockpot and season to your liking with the herbs.
- Add your broth, mustard, and balsamic vinegar.
- Add all the veggies EXCEPT the kale leaves.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the sweet potatoes are soft.
- Shred your chicken between two forks.
- Add your kale and cook for an additional hour to steam the kale.
Viola! A warm, hearty, and healthy meal. This meal was SO good that Mike and I were just painfully slurping it down because it was so hot. I also realized the other day that I really experiment with my herbs. Sometimes I add too much and other times not enough. I want y’all to experiment, too! You know which herbs are your favorites at this point, so play up on the ones you love and play the ones you’re not too keen on down.
Hope your October 1st has been cozy, cool, and magical. There’s just something ’bout this season….Can’t wait to share more with you this month and celebrate The Paisley Kitchen’s first birthday!!!