Yesterday I posted about the benefits of coconut milk, and I said I would be trying out a Spiced Red Lentil Soup for dinner….well, I did and it was AMAZING!
I haven’t been very good at cooking lentils. They are either under cooked or over cooked, but I figured with a soup that needed to be pureed it would really matter. Lentils are high in fiber, low in calories, and contain a lot of other vitamins and minerals that add to its nutritional value. You can find more information here
This is an insanely easy recipe that my boyfriend is already asking me to make again.
Spiced Red Lentil Soup:
I wanted to post this right away because I made a lot of changes to the original recipe that I didn’t want to forget! I like thicker soups, and I read in the comment section of the original recipe that it was turning out too thin. PLUS they had all of the metric measurements I had to convert.
What You Will Need:
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1 1/3 cups of split red lentils
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 3-5 tablespoons of curry paste or sauce (I used yellow curry sauce. Use as much as you need for your spiciness liking!)
- dill, black pepper, salt, oregano ALL to your liking. I added quite a bit of dill and black pepper.
- chopped scallions to garnish (optional)
- pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds to garnish (optional)
What You Will Need To Do:
- Heat the oil in a large pan on medium heat. Sautee the onions until translucent and soft.
- Add in the curry paste or sauce. Sautee for a few more minutes.
- Add the dry lentils into the pan. Toss for about 2 minutes to toast.
- Add your vegetable broth. Reduce the heat and cook for 25 minutes, covered.
- Add in the coconut milk. Let it cook on low for a few more minutes (5 minutes).
- Place your mix into a blender and puree.
- Pour into bowls and garnish with scallions and sunflower seeds.
This recipe makes about 4-5 servings. Mix in a bit more coconut milk if you would like it creamier or smoother. We really loved this soup and it was perfect for a cold winter night.
Stay warm out there, folks, and cuddle up with some hot soup this week 🙂