If someone told me I couldn’t eat cheese any more I would be angry. Punching-stuff angry. I love it and I love the variety of textures, flavors, scents, and appearances. Getting a new block of cheese is full of surprises, and I would be sad if I had to miss those moments. *sigh* But, I am trying to cut down on my cheese intake for health reasons and vanity-reasons.
Ask me what my favorite food is: It’s quesadillas. For real, they are simple, quick, and you can mix ANYTHING into them. Cutting back on cheese or eliminating it kinda puts a bit of a damper on my favorite meal….or so I thought! Avocados are a great substitute for that melty-cheese texture and they have that buttery and creamy taste. I found an AWESOME recipe last night for a simple CHEESELESS quesadilla. I was skeptical at first, but I am now hooked and want to eat these for every dinner. I love that I was able to throw in some ingredients that may have otherwise gone bad, too! I hate wasting or pitching food.
This is a quick, painless, and SUPER yummy recipe if you are a fan of the quesadilla and avocados like me!
Avocado & Tomato CHEESELESS Quesadilla:
What You Will Need:
- 1 tortilla shell of your choice (I used flour here)
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1 tomato from the vine, sliced and chopped
- 1 handful of cilantro, chopped
- 3 stalks of scallions, chopped
What You Will Need To Do:
- Heat a pan on medium heat. Toss your tortilla shell on both sides to warm it up.
- Spread the mashed avocado onto the shell.
- Place all your veggies on top and fold it in half.
- Brown the tortilla on both sides for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with a side of sour cream or salsa.
This took me, maybe, 10 minutes altogether from preparation to eating it. Avocados are a great source of fats, and you don’t need to worry about “over indulging” in the cheese department like I do when I whip these things up.
Hope you enjoy and close out your week strong!