A little late, but here’s the yummy quinoa stuffed pepper recipe! Quinoa is so simple to make and can be seasoned to your taste. Check out some other recipes for quinoa in the blog here (Mexican Style Quinoa, Buffalo Quinoa Bites) and to read up on some of the benefits here!
Quinoa Stuffed Peppers:
This is a copycat recipe (with some additions) from Pinterest which is a great resource for finding simple, introductory recipes to get you started with quinoa if you’ve never used it.
What You Will Need:
- 5-6 small red bell peppers
- 1 can of white beans, drained and rinsed (I used organic pinto)
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1 cup of mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- (optional but recommended!) 1 teaspoon of TJ’s 21 Season Salute!
What You Will Need To Do:
- While preparing your veggies, here’s a cool trick to get the peppers to stand up in your slow cooker. Cut just a sliver off of the bottom of the peppers (the three little bumps). You then can chop up the bits and add them to your mix!
- Cut the red pepper away from the stem and chop the bottom pieces. Add them in with your veggie mix.
- Prepare your quinoa, beans, mushrooms, and onion. Place it all in a pan and add 1 cup of water or 1 cup of broth. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Add your seasonings and cheese to the mix.
- Stuff your peppers in the crock pot.
- Cook on HIGH for 4 hours.
- You can remove the skin from the peppers when removing and sprinkle with scallions. Yum!
Top them with sour cream to help combat belly pain if you’ve added some spice. These are so easy and delicious, I’m sure you’ll want to make them and especially in this cold weather. Stay warm out there and whip up this recipe tonight for some comfort!