Many often worry about the summer’s seasonal characteristics and how they affect skin condition. The sun’s rays, chlorine in pools, sweat, and dirt are just a few things we protect ourselves against in the summer months. But, winter can be just as harsh. Having the heat running in our homes often dries our skin out, cold temperatures and winds can negatively affect sensitive skin, and when our face is dry, it appears that we have more wrinkles or blemishes than we actually do.
Herbal facial steams offer a quick remedy for that dry, tired winter skin. Contrary to popular belief, steam does not “open” up our pores. Our pores are a set size. Using a steam treatment just helps loosen up any unwanted gunk we didn’t get rid of through our regular washing routine. When our pores are unclogged, they are less noticeable.
This time of year can be very busy and tiring. Try the following steam treatment at home to give your skin that glow you may be missing! Just be careful when using hot water 😉
What You Will Need:
- 1/4 cup dried chamomile
- 1/4 cup dried calendula
- lavender essential oil
- geranium essential oil
What You Will Need To Do:
- Heat a medium pot of water and bring it to a boil.
- Let it simmer and add the above listed ingredients.
- Cover the mix and turn off your heat. Let it sit for about 2 minutes.
- Uncover your mixture and bring the pot to a pot holder on a table (it will be hot!).
- Place your face above the steaming pot (about 6 inches away from it) and cover the back of your head with a towel.
- Let the towel drape around your face and the pot to create a “tent.”
- Let your face rest above the pot for up to 5 minutes.
- Rinse your face with cool water after.
Your face will feel soft and refreshed. Try adding other dried herbs or essential oils for your own personal mix. I hope everyone has a great weekend and pictures are to come of the Holiday Party appetizers I’m making tomorrow! 🙂